Energy work isn’t magic and it isn’t something only “special” people can do. Energy work (reiki and other forms of healing through energetic pathways in the body) is something intrinsic to us all. We all can connect to the “ki” or the lifeforce energy that permeates every living thing.
Reiki and energy work is something I believe in very strongly and I use it every day: on myself, my daughter, my animals and my clients. It is such an easy way to promote internal and emotional harmony and give back to our loved ones, it is difficult for me to imagine a day without using energy in some way.
So what is this “energy”, or reiki? The International Association of Reiki Practitioners has this to say about reiki:
Reiki is a spiritual healing art with its roots in Japanese origin. The word Reiki comes from the Japanese word (Rei) which means “Universal Life” and (Ki) which means “Energy”. Reiki is not affiliated with any particular religion or religious practice. It is not massage nor is it based on belief or suggestion. It is a subtle and effective form of energywork using spiritually guided life force energy.
Reiki is the life energy that flows through all living things. Reiki Practitioners understand that everyone has the ability to connect with their own healing energy and use it to strengthen energy in themselves and help others. It is believed that a person’s “ki” or energy should be strong and free flowing. When this is true a person’s body and mind is in a positive state of health. When the energy becomes weak or blocked it could lead to symptoms of physical or emotional imbalance.
A Reiki session can help ease tension and stress and can help support the body to facilitate an environment for healing on all levels – physical, mental, and emotional. A session is pleasant and relaxing and is often utilized for one’s personal wellness.
A lot of people are skeptical before seeing and feeling the benefits of reiki for themselves. Animals relax while receiving the energy, people feel more at ease and their tension dissipates, frightened cats don’t dart off to hide, and fearful dogs can suddenly breathe freely and begin to enjoy the company of people around them. It’s really pretty amazing.
Here is an example of a way you can experience the flow of ki for yourself and use your own innate energetic healing ability to build a stronger connection with your dog, and even ease behavioral and emotional problems, and health issues:
- Find a quiet spot to sit on the floor with your dog.
- Don’t restrain your dog in any way, especially if he is fearful, but the area should be contained enough that the dog cannot run off too far.
- Begin by quieting your mind and breathing deeply. Imagine a white light coming down from above, through the top of your head, surrounding your heart and shooting out all the way down through your feet and out of your hands.
- Feel the energy of life pulsing through you. Hold your hands, palms flat, facing each other, several inches apart – feel the flow of energy gently pulsing back and forth through your palms.
- If your dog doesn’t mind being touched, call him over and gently place your hands anywhere on his body that he might be most comfortable with. Feel the flow of life energy from the Universe, flowing through you, and into your dog.
- Keep your mind quiet and peaceful; don’t think about “forcing” the energy, just let it flow.
- You may change the position of your hands as your dog allows and feels comfortable with. After a few minutes, he may be laying down very contentedly as he receives the energy.
- When your dog moves away, he may be telling you he is done, so you can end the session.
- For dogs who don’t want to be touched, you can send the energy across the room with your intention being to share and connect with the dog. You will often find a fearful dog will calm down and then let you approach and put your hands on him.
- End the session with a slight head bow and a “thank you” to the Universe.
Try it out and see how it goes. I think you will be surprised at the effectiveness of this work once you’ve trained yourself to “get into the flow”. If you are interested in trying a session for yourself or one of your animals and are unsure about doing it on your own, set up a session with me (either remotely or in your home) and see how you like it. If you want to delve further into energy work, I offer a course that will “attune” you to the energy. Please contact me if you are interested in learning more about any of this, or comment here and I will be happy to help!
Above is a picture of Harley, a female Pit Bull, receiving reiki from me. She started the session rambunctious and bouncing around, but within a minute or two of sending her energy, she plopped right down next to me and relaxed.